Friday, December 5, 2008

Out of the Box and Lessons Remembered

I don't go out of my comfort zone often. When we go out to eat I always order the same thing. I know what I like and what I don't and that's just how it is. Danny has been after me to try sushi for along time. He fell in love with it about 2 years ago. I'm pretty set in my ways and wasn't going to budge on trying it. No way was I putting raw fish in my mouth. Plus I was told that you have to put the whole thing in your mouth at one time. I know myself well enough to know that those two things combined would make a BAD combination and what would follow would not be good. To make along story short, I owed Jamie big for volunteering her to interpret for SEP's without asking her first. We decided to go to dinner and a movie with Jamie picking the restaurant. She found out about my fear of sushi and decided that's what we were having for dinner. So last Saturday we went to the "Happy Sumo" for dinner. I was so scared! I learned that not all sushi is raw fish which made me feel a bit better. We ordered 5 rolls, each of us picking one, Jamie and I agreed on the 5th roll. We also had tempura veggies which are way yummy. I fell off the wagon and ordered a diet coke, I knew I was going to need something to wash this down with. To my amazement most of the sushi was great! And you can bite it in half and not lose any of the flavor. There was only one roll that almost made me and Jamie sick...flying fish eggs are NASTY! Jamie and I took turns drinking my diet coke, I think between the 2 of us it took less then a minute to finish the glass. Trying sushi reminded me of the book "Green Eggs and Ham, "You do not like them. So you say. Try them! Try them! And you may". "Say! I like green eggs and ham! I do! I like them, Sam-I-am!" I had a really good time and will have sushi again. Thanks Jamie for helping me out of the box!

On Wednesday for young womens we went to Festival of Trees, which was amazing. I am always in awe of the people who decorate the trees and who give of there time to help raise money for Primary Children's Hospital. We took 2 cars, Holly and I drove. When we got done and loaded back into the cars, I was just about to leave when I remembered that my dad and mom had taught me when you are traveling with others you always leave at the same time. Make sure the other person is in their car and that you leave at the same time. I had started to leave when I remembered this lesson. As I began to back out I noticed Holly had a flat tire. If I would have pulled forward out of my parking place and left, Holly would have been stuck there with 6 teenagers trying to change a tire. We changed the tire, well Holly and Shemay did along with a nice gentleman who stopped to help us. I kept track of the girls who weren't sitting in my van and talked to this gentleman's girlfriend from England, I would not have been of any help to them. So, we learned the lesson of stay together and listen to your parents because you never know when you will use the lessons they tried to teach you. So dad and mom, it may have seemed like I didn't listen, but I really did!

2 comments:

Camie said...

Yay! Trying new things SOUNDS great! Still not gonna do it though.... Love ya!

Lonni said...

I am proud of you for trying something new I think that is awesome. I have to say isn't it funny even when we are adults we still listen to the counsel of our parents from when we were kids and now as adults. I love it, it makes us better I think.